Occupation: Legislative Coordinator, Oregon AFSCME
Occupational Background: Government Relations
Educational Background: Jefferson High School; Mt. Hood Community College
Prior Governmental Experience: Democratic Precinct Committeewoman; Democratic National Committeewoman
Mary Botkin: A record of proven leadership
Mary Botkin fights for the values and the issues we care most deeply about. Mary's leadership and advocacy for Oregon's families has made a real difference.
- Restored funding for special education programs and fought education cuts from Head Start to Higher Education.
- Worked with Governor John Kitzhaber to establish the Oregon Health Plan.
- Introduced and passed legislation requiring health insurers to provide contraceptive coverage and protected death with dignity laws. Provided leadership in passing Mental Health Parity legislation.
- Leader in increasing Oregon's Minimum Wage.
- A leader in reforming Workers Compensation, moving Oregon from one of the highest cost to one of the lowest and one of the highest in benefits nationally for injured workers.
- Wrote and passed legislation that protects Oregon's crime victims from identity theft, preventing criminals from obtaining personal information from crime reports and legal documents.
- Passed legislation requiring crime victim restitution payments, and re-wrote the corrections budget to protect and expand mandatory treatment and education for offenders.
- Protected Oregon's air quality by saving our vehicle-testing program from elimination.
We support Mary Botkin!
(Visit www.friendsofmarybotkin.com to see the full list)
Oregon State Fire Fighters Council
Portland Assn of Teachers-Teacher's Voice in Politics
American Federation of Teachers-Oregon
Oregon School Employees Assn
Oregon AFSCME Council 75
United Food & Commercial Workers
Oregon State Building & Construction Trades Council
Oregon Natural Resources Council Action PAC
Sam Adams, Portland City Commissioner
Jim Hill, Former State Treasurer
Lonnie Roberts, Multnomah County Commissioner
Tricia Smith, Former State Senator
Michael Schrunk, Multnomah County District Attorney
Les AuCoin, Former U.S. Congressman
(This information furnished by Friends of Mary Botkin.)