Occupation: Oregon State Representative, District 5; Communications Consultant
Occupational Background: Management in non-profits, 20 years; radio commentator, 15 years.
Educational Background: B.A., University of Santa Clara, 1979
Prior Governmental Experience: District 5 Oregon State Representative, 2005 to present; City Commission, Arcata, California, 1994
Two years ago, the voters of House District 5 provided me with the opportunity to serve our region in the State Legislature. Since then, hundreds of you have weighed in with emails, letters, and public testimony consistently underscoring the importance of adequate funding for quality public education, affordable and accessible health care, and leadership that leaves our state in better shape than it was when we came into it.
Although challenging and often frustrating, I love serving our region and can see that Oregon has enormous untapped potential. We are capable of so much more than we are accomplishing right now.
Here is a short list of some of the inroads I made during my first session in the House:
- Ensuring family members are included when seniors or the disabled are evaluated for services they need
- Helping to secure funding for the Jacksonville Woods project, the SOU/RCC building in Medford and a new judge for our family/drug court
- Increasing the numbers of students receiving financial aid for higher education,
- Fighting for Head Start, K-12 and Community College funding,
- Fighting against the cuts to the Oregon State Police and
- Fighting cuts to the Department of Environmental Quality
- Divesting state dollars from corporations who do business with the genocidal regime in Sudan.
Because there is still so much to be done-particularly in the areas of health care, housing, education and public safety--I'm asking for your vote so I can continue working in Salem for every child, family, household, business and community in our district.
(This information furnished by Peter Buckley.)