Occupation: Oregon Senate President; Assistant to the President, Western Oregon University
Occupational Background: Attorney, Private Practice; Hearings Officer, Employment Relations Board; Legal Aid Attorney; Law Clerk, Oregon Court of Appeals.
Educational Background: Bachelors and Masters in Public Administration, University of Rhode Island; Law Degree, Boston University.
Prior Governmental Experience: State Senator; State Representative; Salem City Council; Salem Mass Transit Board.
Community Involvement: Board Member, YMCA; Member, Oregon State Bar; former member, Salem United Soccer, Mid-Valley Children's Guild, Red Cross, United Way, and former Boys and Girls Club Coach.
Personal: Married to Margie Brenden Courtney. They have three sons: Peter, Sean, and Adam, and a dog, Yoda.
NOBODY WORKS HARDER
It's true: nobody works harder for our communities and the people who live in them. Peter has accomplished much during his tenure and earned the respect of Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike for his innovative problem-solving ability.
Peter led the successful fight to:
- Fund Opportunity Grants for all eligible low-income college students and fully fund pre-kindergarten programs.
- Guarantee health insurance coverage for mental health treatment, prostate exams and clinical breast exams.
- Create a discount prescription drug program to help seniors with skyrocketing drug costs.
- Secure life flight services for critically ill or injured children.
- Require sex offenders to register and require that neighbors be notified when they move into our communities.
- Protect children by requiring background checks for sex offenses for those applying for jobs supervising children.
- Create the strongest anti-meth laws in the country.
- Close the utility tax loophole, recovering millions for Oregon taxpayers.
- Make the Legislature open, accessible and accountable to all Oregonians.
WORKING HARD FOR SALEM, WOODBURN AND GERVAIS
Peter will continue to fight for:
- Stable and adequate funding for our schools.
- Affordable health care for everyone.
- Reduced cost of prescription drugs.
- Safer communities for our families.
RE-ELECT SENATOR PETER COURTNEY
Keep Him Working For Us
(This information furnished by Peter Courtney for State Senate.)