Occupation: State Representative. Employment and Development Specialist, Oregon Tradeswomen.
Occupational Background: Founding Executive Director Better People, 1998-2004; Employment Specialist, Youth Employment Institute, 1996-1997.
Educational Background: Masters in Social Work, Portland State University
Prior Governmental Experience: State Representative, District 43, 2005 to present; House Education Committee; House Business, Labor and Consumer Affairs Committee; House Interim Task Force on the Oregon Health Plan; House Interim Revenue Committee; House Assistant Democratic Leader.
Community Involvement: King Elementary School PTA Board; Start Making a Reader Today (SMART) volunteer, King Elementary School; Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs; Stand for Children.
Personal: Spouse, Shelda Holmes, RN, FNP, MSN
Fighting for Fairness in N/NE Portland
For over nine years, Chip Shields has been fighting for the people of N/NE Portland. From leadership roles in raising the minimum wage and funding our schools. to finding living-wage jobs for hundreds of people through Better People and Oregon Tradeswomen, Chip Shields has delivered results.
Fighting for Living-Wage Jobs, Health Care, Schools and Equality in the Oregon House
- Successfully defended Oregon's minimum wage in the House Business, Labor and Consumer Affairs Committee.
- Supported House Bill 2509, which requires health insurance coverage for contraceptives.
- Pushed a vote on a $5.4 billion "no cuts" budget for K-12 education.
- Supported SB 1000, Oregon's civil unions and nondiscrimination bill.
- Helped pass SB 316 to help minority businesses.
- Introduced HJM 38-a resolution urging Congress and the President to develop a timeline and exit strategy for the war in Iraq.
- 100% voting record, Oregon AFL-CIO
- 100% voting record, Oregon League of Conservation Voters
- The Skanner Newspaper Drum Major for Justice Award, 2004
I worked hard in my first legislative session for living-wage jobs, health care, schools and equality. Call me at 503-493-4411 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss your concerns. I would appreciate your vote for re-election.
- Chip Shields -
(This information furnished by Friends of Chip Shields.)