Alan C. Bates
Occupation:Family physician for 25 years in the
Rogue Valley; Oregon State Representative 2001 to present.
Occupational Background:Former Chief of Medicine at Rogue Valley and Providence Medical Centers.
Educational Background:D.O., 1977; College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri. B.A., 1969; Central Washington State University.
Prior Governmental Experience:Eagle Point School Board, 1990 -2001; Governors Committee for Excellence in Education 1997 1999; Oregon Health Services Commission 1989 1999, chair:1997 - 1999.
Military Service:US Army 1965 1967; Served in Vietnam.
Because of legislation sponsored or strongly supported by Dr. Alan Bates, Oregonians will have:
- Better schools:Rep Bates led the fight against further cuts to K-12 in Ways and Means
- Increased access to physicians in rural Oregon (HB-2151)
- An established procedure for the health care industry to report errors
and seek recommendation for improvements (HB-2349)
- A grant process for training and acquisition of defibrillators in public
- Streamlined procedures for patients needing hearing aids (HB-2684)
- Increased access to discount pharmaceuticals (HB-2742, HB-2943, SB-875)
- Increased funding and reimbursements for Oregons Trauma Centers
Rep Bates also co-authored legislation to revamp the Oregon Health Plan sustaining
health care for 60,000 uninsured Oregoniansincluding mental health,
chemical dependency, and emergency dental services (HB-3624)
Alan Bates has consistently championed issues important to our state and region. He deserves our support.
--Dr. Dave Gilmour, County Commissioner
Recipient of The Brave 26 2003 Balance in Leadership Award.
--Oregon Business Association
Oregon needs more hardworking, smart, dedicated leaders who reach across the aisle to do whats right for Oregonians, not their re-election campaigns. Alan Bates is just this sort of leader.
--Rita Sullivan, Ontrack
As your state senator I will continue to advocate for education, affordable health care, a strong economy, and the environment. Thank you for this opportunity to serve.
(This information furnished by Committee to Elect Dr. Alan Bates.)