Occupation:House Democratic Leader
Occupational Background:President, World Affairs Council of Oregon; Executive Director, Portland Habitat for Humanity; Director of Housing Development, Human Solutions
Educational Background:David Douglas High School; Stanford (B.A. International Relations); Princeton (M.A., Public Policy)
Prior Governmental Experience:U.S. Congressional Policy Analyst; 1983 Presidential Intern, Office of Secretary of Defense; Intern for Senator Hatfield; David Douglas Student Body President
MAKING A DIFFERENCE:
- As Founder and Co-chair of East Portland Coalition to End Unfair Storm Water Fees, worked to end Portlands practice of charging east-Portland residents for services the city is not providing.
- Reduced Crime:helped organize residents to shut down crack alley; proposed and helped fund and manage pilot home-building program for at-risk youth.
- Started the Walk for Humanity, which celebrates community building and raises funds for community non-profits.
- Began the states first Individual Development Account (IDA) program, helping low-income families buy homes or attend college.
As a Legislator:
- Fought to place equitable and adequate funding for quality schools first on the legislative agenda.
- Supported the Oregon Health Plan with goal of health coverage for all of Oregons children.
- Advocated for working families, small business, and opportunities for the disadvantaged.
- Defended Oregons land-use system and promoted partnerships to protect our environment.
- Championed a mercury elimination bill that is the first step toward removal of mercury from Oregons environment.
- Led successful efforts to support the Oregon Veterans Home.
- Won passage of the Homeowner Protection Act and SPAMbusting legislation.
Dear Neighbor,Its been an honor to represent you in Salem. I will keep working hard. Please contact me at 503-249-0457 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or ideas. Your vote counts!!! Jeff
(This information furnished by Jeff Merkley.)