Occupation: Retired-thirty-two years of service.
Occupational Background: Rockford Life Insurance; Southern California Edison Co.; Dept. Of Justice Border Patrolman; Conductor-Southern Pacific Railroad
Educational Background: LaSalle-Peru-Oglesby Junior College Prior Governmental Experience: Army–1941-1945; Republican Precinct Committeeman
To whom it may concern;
It is my desire to serve in the Oregon legislature representing the first district. My hope is to impart ideas of a positive and intelligent nature to government in Oregon. Following is a synopsis of goals.
(1) The elimination of the Bicameral legislature and replace it with a Unicameral legislature. This will eliminate a multitude of evils that now exist in the present system. One of which is the juvenile factionalism rampant in both houses.
(2) The abolition of the state income tax and the state property tax. Instead, a sales tax across the board. There would be exemptions for medicines, hospital, doctors and all ancillary needs and services. The property tax would be by county option.
(3) What drives business away and stifles growth is the obscene regulations by government and the interference of business to conduct their business which means jobs.
(4) A hard look at all government bureau’s with the intent to reduce the tax eating monster.
(5) An audit of all state investments which generate revenue.
(6) A look at the total bonded indebtedness of our state. That is a start for a true reform of government in Oregon. To get the dance to begin I need your help and vote! Remember the wise words of our ancestor “Because you have no interest in government does not mean that government has no interest in
you”. VOTE! Thank you.
(This information furnished by Tom Hall.)