Occupational Background: Law, business.
Educational Background: Public schools; Oklahoma University, BA Political Philosophy; Willamette University Law School, J.D.
Prior Governmental Experience: Community College Board; Deputy DA; Planning Commission.
Senior Citizen, Veteran, Lawyer
- Tax Reform:
- A constitutionally limited sales tax, low enough to attract Washington and California business. This sales tax cannot be raised except by a vote of the people.
- Elimination of the capital gains tax, thereby stimulating business and creating jobs.
- A residential homestead exemption from property taxes on the first $150,000.00 value. (Oregon has one of the lowest per capita home-ownership rates in the country.)
- An exemption on personal income tax of the first $100,000.00 income.
- Education: Emphasize classroom instruction,
not expanding administration.
- Business /Jobs: Use a common sense approach for the use of our renewable natural resources, giving first priority to economic development and creation of jobs.
Oregons issues are:
- Jobs and the economy;
not personal social issues
not lack of resources.
- Reduction of governmental excesses and bureaucracy.
- Tax reform.
- Justice for every citizen and preservation of their right to a jury trial.
Vote VAN VALKENBURGH
District 59 Legislator