Occupation: State Representative.
Occupational Background: Executive Director, Mid-Columbia Children's Council; Head Start Administrator; Teacher.
Educational Background: University of Oregon, B.A.
Prior Governmental Experience: Oregon City Commission President; South Fork Water Board; Tri-Cities Services Budget Committee.
STILL FOCUSED ON WHAT MATTERS MOST
Focused on Helping Oregonians
A mother who raised two teenage sons alone, Suzanne VanOrman knows what it's like to struggle. In this economic crisis, she's been saddened to see too many politicians put partisanship ahead of people. Suzanne is an independent and honest voice for all Oregonians.
- Championed the Job Applicant Fairness Act to prohibit most employers from using credit history to screen potential employees.
- Prohibited insurers from discriminating against sexual assault victims by preventing them from classifying rape as a pre-existing condition for which insurance can be denied.
- Forced banks to be good neighbors and maintain properties they foreclose.
Focused on Our Children
For 22 years Suzanne led the Mid-Columbia Children's Council, providing access to Head Start to hundreds of local families. Because of her background, Suzanne understands the value of a good education.
- Secured funding for K-12 and expanded healthcare for 80,000 children.
- Pushed through $9.7 million in additional Oregon Opportunity Grants for college students.
- Protected funding for Early Head Start Programs.
Focused on Jobs
Suzanne understands that many Oregonians are hurting. Too many people are out of work and too many families have lost their homes.
- Established BOOST fund to give loans and grants to help small businesses that create new jobs and hire Oregonians.
- Ensured our local farmers will produce environmentally friendly hydroelectric power.
- Fought for over $10 million in transportation funds for Hood River.
Oregon Nurses Association, Oregon Education Association, Planned Parenthood PAC of Oregon, Oregon Council of Police Associations, NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC.
(This information furnished by Suzanne VanOrman.)