Occupation: Lane County Sheriff
Occupational Background: Lane County Chief Deputy Sheriff, Oregon State Police Department Area Commander, Oregon State Police Lieutenant, Oregon State Police Sergeant, Oregon State Police Trooper, San Bernardino County Deputy Sheriff, San Bernardino County Corporal
Educational Background: Sweet Home High School; Oregon State University, BS in Business Administration; post-graduate studies San Bernardino Valley College--Administration of Justice and Public Administration--California State University San Bernardino.
Prior Governmental Experience: Lane County Sheriff 2005- present
Since my term as Sheriff began in 2005, I've been working to accomplish the mission of making Lane County a safer place by protecting lives and property, while maintaining the dignity of all people.
Accomplishing more, with fewer resources, has been critical from the beginning. Cost-effective solutions to our county's pressing issues include:
- Adding jail capacity at no additional cost to taxpayers.
- Starting a volunteer-based Cold Case team to re-examine unsolved homicides--we've already identified a suspect in one case, and plan to bring the case to grand jury.
- Assigning a detective to the hundreds of property crimes.
- Assigning a detective to address meth-related crimes.
- Writing 30+ search warrants on suspected drug houses and disrupting the drug trade in Lane County.
- Partnering with local agencies and counties to use Homeland Security grants and other funding for efficient, regional interagency radio communications.
With my re-election, Lane County residents will be able to rely on my leadership and law enforcement experience to achieve even greater savings and improvements to public safety.
Endorsements include: Cottage Grove Mayor Gary Williams; Lane County Commissioners Pete Sorenson, Bobby Green, Sr., Faye Stewart; Lane County DA Doug Harcleroad; Springfield Mayor Sid Leiken; Yamhill County Sheriff Jack Crabtree; Alex Gardner; Maurice K. Sanders; Jim Torrey; Jeff Miller
Paid for and authorized by Russ Burger for Sheriff Committee,
PO Box 8499, Coburg, OR 97408
(This information furnished by Russ Burger for Sheriff.)