Occupation: Small business owner, State Representative
Occupational Background: Certified Forester®; U.S. Forest Service (10 years); Forest products industry (18 years)
Educational Background: MBA, James Madison University, 1988; MS, Resource Management and Policy, State University of New York, 1980; BS, Forest Management, Colorado State University, 1977
Prior Governmental Experience: In 2007 he served as Vice- Chair of the House Committee on Energy and Environment and was a member of the Ways and Means Subcommittee on Natural Resources; 2005 Oregon House of Representatives; Bend Metro Park & Recreation District Board, 1999, 2003; Western Governors' Association National Fire Plan team; Governor Kulongoski's Eastside Forest Advisory Committee
Community Involvement: National Ski Patrol; Deschutes United Way; Oregon Society of American Foresters; Habitat for Humanity.
Success for Central Oregon
- Obtained a 35 percent funding increase for OSU Cascade Campus;
- Supported increasing student aid by $106 million so an additional 28 percent of Oregon's students may receive assistance;
- Led the passage of legislation providing new money for school construction.
"Chuck Burley is a tireless advocate for post secondary education in Central Oregon." Connie Lee, board member, Central Oregon Community College
- Supported creation of a Rainy Day Fund for Oregon to set aside money for economic downturns;
- Promoted restructuring Oregon's tax code providing equality while protecting revenue;
- Increased and expanded tax credits to preserve affordable housing.
"Chuck Burley works across party lines to make our communities stronger and better places to work, live and play." Oran Teater, Mayor of Bend, 2002-2004Health
- Improved mental health funding for Central Oregon;
- Voted to require health plans to cover contraception;
- Supported legislation enabling seniors to receive care in their own home.
"Representative Burley does an exemplary job representing our diverse issues. His integrity and dedicated response to his constituents is excellent. I am proud to support Representative Burley and say job well done!" Bev Clarno, former Oregon House Speaker and Oregon State Senator www.voteforburley.com
(This information furnished by Chuck Burley for State Rep.)