Occupation: Chief Deputy District Attorney, Lane County
Occupational Background: Deputy District Attorney
Educational Background: J.D., University of Oregon Law School; M.S., University of Oregon, Biology; B.A. University of Oregon.
Prior Governmental Experience: District Attorney, Lane County, 2004
As Lane County's chief law officer, the district attorney is responsible for enforcing Oregon law. This year the DA will prosecute thousands of felonies, putting the most dangerous felons behind bars to keep us safe.
Being an effective DA requires more than just a law degree.
We need a DA:
- who is an experienced prosecutor with a proven record of excellence
- who has earned a reputation as a hard-working, strong, fair prosecutor
- who puts law enforcement and justice ahead of politics
We need Alex Gardner.
He's a career prosecutor with experience running major investigations and apprehending and convicting the most dangerous criminals.
When Lane County's DA left office in 2004, Gov. Kulongoski appointed Gardner to take over.
As DA, Gardner earned widespread praise for implementing changes that resulted in:
- Prosecuting and convicting more criminals
- Boosting staff morale while doing more with less
- Working cooperatively with other agencies and the community
- Saving money by streamlining for efficiency
"Mr. Gardner tried cases from misdemeanors to Death Penalty in my Court. He was always prepared, professional and is a superb advocate for the people. He is a man of great integrity and fairness."
- Robert C. Millikan, Retired Circuit Court Judge
"Gardner is an experienced murder prosecutor and it shows in his confidence. Gardner always gets the job done right - even when it's the middle of the night, he's got to do it himself, and he's already worked a 70 hour week. I've seen him do it."
- Dan Braziel, Detective
"Gardner is a proven, experienced, intelligent, tough prosecutor who knows how to get the job done while adhering to the highest ethical standards."
- Judge Thomas W. Kolberg, retired
(This information furnished by Alex Gardner.)