Occupation: Speaker of the Oregon House of Representatives
Occupational Background: Executive Director, Portland Habitat for Humanity; National Security Analyst, Pentagon and Congressional Budget Office; President, Oregon World Affairs Council
Educational Background: David Douglas High School; Stanford (B.A., International Relations); Princeton, (M.A., Public Policy)
Prior Governmental Experience: Oregon State Representative, 1999; House Democratic Leader, 2003; Speaker of the House, 2007
MAKING CHANGE IN OREGON:
- Led a band of progressive leaders to end 16 years of Republican control in Salem;
- Opposed the Iraq war from the start;
- Championed public education, expanded Head Start, and doubled college scholarships;
- Cracked down on predatory lenders, ending 500% interest Payday & Title loans;
- Made Oregon a national leader in fighting global warming and expanding renewable energy, conservation, and recycling;
- Reduced the cost of prescription drugs;
- Fought to protect homeowners from foreclosure and subprime scams;
- Championed domestic partnerships and basic rights for all Oregonians.
THE CHANGE WE NEED IN WASHINGTON D.C.:As the son of a mill worker in rural Oregon, and first in my family to go to college, I will create opportunity for every American.
- Fighting to make healthcare affordable and accessible to all;
- Ending the Iraq war starting immediately and take care of our veterans;
- Building world-class schools from Head Start to higher education;
- Stopping Bush give-aways to special interests and the wealthiest Americans;
- Ending our dependence on foreign oil and tackling global warming;
- Scrapping unfair trade deals that send middle-class jobs overseas;
- Always protecting a woman's right to choose.
The people of Oregon are ready to defeat Gordon Smith and I am ready to win.That's why I'm endorsed by Governor Kulongoski; Governor Barbara Roberts; Schools Superintendent Susan Castillo; 30 State Representatives; 12 State Senators; 15 mayors; American Federation of Teachers-Oregon; Oregon Nurses Association; Sierra Club; AFL-CIO; Service Employees International Union; AFSCME; UFCW; ILWU; and more than 100 community leaders across Oregon.
(This information furnished by Jeff Merkley for Oregon.)