Occupation: State Senator; Court Reporter
Occupational Background: State Senator 2003-present; Self-employed Court Reporter
Educational Background: University of Oregon, BS; Lane Community College, Court Reporting Program
Prior Governmental Experience: State Representative 1999-2002; Secretary-Treasurer, Cal Young Neighborhood Association; Chair, Lane County Democrats
Personal: Vicki has lived in Oregon since 1960. She and her husband Steve raised their two children in Lane County.
VICKI WALKER—COUNTING FOR OREGON
"She has a knack for calling attention to issues that her colleagues have overlooked, and has built a reputation as a lawmaker who will fight for the powerless."
—The Register-Guard 9/5/05
As a State Senator, Vicki Walker has consistently stood up to powerful interests, shining a bright light on waste, fraud and abuse in state government.
Vicki is running for Secretary of State because Salem needs to bring the same accountability and transparency towards counting your votes and your tax dollars correctly.
Read Vicki's plan www.vickiwalker.com to make every Oregonian count:
- Supporting rotating regional primaries so Oregonians have a greater say in choosing their next President
- Publishing the largest contributors to ballot measure campaigns in the voters' pamphlet
- Cracking down on ballot measure fraud
- Ensuring corporate subsidies bring in more revenue than they take
- Utilizing state trust lands to develop rural jobs with clean, renewable energy
- Maximizing revenues to the Common School Fund to reduce class sizes and lower the achievement gap
As Chair of the Senate Education Committee, Vicki led the legislature to adopt an 18% increase in public school funding, expanded the Oregon Opportunity Grant to make college affordable for more students, added 3,000 children to Head Start, and prohibited golden parachute contracts for school administrators.
"VICKI WALKER WAS NAMED A WORKING FAMILIES
CHAMPION BY THE OREGON AFL-CIO"
Senator Margaret Carter
Representative Terry Beyer
Portland City Commissioners Randy Leonard and Erik Sten
Former Democratic Party of Oregon Chair Jim Edmunson
Former Speaker of Oregon House of Representatives Phil Lang
(This information furnished by Committee to Elect Vicki Walker.)