Official 1996 Biennial
Online Voters' Guide

Pursuant to the federal "Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act," Public Law 98-435, the State of Oregon has made the following provisions for voters who are elderly or who have physical disabilities:

1. A cassette edition of the Voters' Pamphlet is available for Oregonians who cannot read standard print due to a visual or physical disability. To order a cassette edition of the Voters' Pamphlet, please contact Independent Living Resources at 503-284-3339.

If you need information regarding where you vote, please call your county elections official. All other Voters' Pamphlet questions should be directed to the Office of the Secretary of State at 503-986-1518 or 503-378-5812 (hearing impaired).

2. Large-type voting instructions or hand-held magnifying glasses for the visually impaired will be provided at each polling place.

3. Telecommunications devices for the hearing impaired will be available in each county elections office. The special telephone number for your county is included in the list of county elections officials that appears on the "Absent Voter" information page in this pamphlet, or you may contact the Office of the Secretary of State by dialing 503-378-5812.

4. If an elderly or physically disabled voter's polling place is inaccessible, the voter may request, in advance, to have a ballot brought from the polling place to the voter's car, or to be assigned to an alternative polling place.

5. Any voter who is unable to mark or punch the ballot because of a physical disability or an inability to read or write shall receive, upon request, the assistance of two election board clerks of different parties or of some other person chosen by the voter. Under no circumstances may assistance be given by the voter's employer or an agent of the employer or by an officer or agent of the voter's union.

6. An absentee ballot may be requested by any elderly or physically disabled voter.

Details concerning the nature of barriers present at polling places
designated as inaccessible may be obtained by contacting your county elections official.

Content Page