Political Party Statements
The Pacific Green Party of Oregon offers a new voice, working to decentralize political and economic power and provide better governance.
We stand for peace, justice, basic human equality, self determination and an ecologically sustainable society.
PACIFIC GREENS FILL A VITAL NEED FOR A MEANINGFUL OPPOSITION TO WAR
Despite winning the 2008 election with an anti-war mandate, the Administration’s policies are clear:
To keep funding the war in Afghanistan, with no end in sight,
To maintain the occupation of Iraq, using thousands of “private contractors” (mercenaries) while neglecting the reconstruction of that war-torn country,
To inflame relations with Iran, through our unilateral military support for Israel, which continues to plan an attack on that nation,
To limit our civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism, a problem wiser foreign policy would solve by itself.
THE PACIFIC GREEN PEACE SLATE WILL NEVER SUPPORT AGGRESSOR NATIONS IN WORLD CONFLICTS. WE OPPOSE ANY FIRST STRIKE ON IRAN AND SUPPORT MEANINGFUL DIPLOMACY TO RESOLVE THE NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION ISSUE.
If you voted against war in 2008, ask yourself: Was my vote simply wasted by picking one of the same two parties that alternate in power?
With the Pacific Green Party’s Peace Slate, Oregonians have the chance to send a powerful message:
END THE WARS IN THE MIDDLE EAST!
All Pacific Green Candidates in the Peace Slate support:
- Ending the empire building and the permanent war that comes with it.
- Channeling our nation’s resources toward investment in renewable energy, conserving natural resources that belong to all generations of Americans, present and future.
- Changing the tax structure to counter the expanding gap between rich and poor.
- Providing universal health care with an emphasis on prevention and wellness
- Rebuilding our crumbling road and transit systems with sustainable, energy efficient infrastructure that conserves time, fuel and land.
- Reforming our election system, strengthening participatory democracy and supporting community-based economics.
PACIFIC GREENS OPPOSE LNG AND WORK TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
The Pacific Green Party is against siting Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) terminals and pipelines in Oregon. We don’t believe building more fossil fuel infrastructure will help end petroleum dependence. Oregon doesn’t need the gas and doesn’t deserve to be simply a supply route for California. LNG is seismically vulnerable, potentially explosive and unsightly.
PACIFIC GREENS WORK TO FIX A BROKEN ELECTION SYSTEM THAT FAVORS THE INCUMBENTS AND THE SPECIAL INTERESTS THAT FINANCE THEIR CAMPAIGNS.
The Pacific Green Party recognizes that in an entrenched two-party system where a plurality wins, third party candidates are often seen as “spoilers” and discouraged from running. Sometimes the incumbent advantage in campaign finance further narrows the field--to only a single candidate! Oregon voters have already approved two solutions:
- Instant Runoff Voting--to allow all voices to be heard and voted for, while insuring majority rule.
- Campaign Finance Reform--to break the power of those who donate to incumbents as a way to gain undue influence.
GREEN VALUES ARE INTERNATIONAL
There are Greens Parties worldwide, some sharing power or holding cabinet positions. The Four Pillars of the Green Movement are:
Ecological Wisdom -- Social and Economic Justice
Grassroots Democracy -- Peace and Nonviolence
Green-minded Oregonians founded the Pacific Party in 1992, after the first US war in the Middle East. An affiliate of the Green Party of the US, it is now officially known as the Pacific Green Party of Oregon. Registered Greens are currently elected or appointed to over a dozen non-partisan offices and positions across Oregon, putting ideas into action on local school boards, city councils and commissions. Statewide, Greens qualify for partisan races because thousands of voters designate Pacific Green as their party--please register Pacific Green!
VOTE PACIFIC GREEN FOR PEACE
(This information furnished by Pacific Green Party of Oregon.)