Occupation: United Parcel Service Project Supervisor
Occupational Background: Industrial Engineer, Production Planner, Dispatch Supervisor.
Educational Background: Master of Science in Economics, University of Oregon, 2002 Bachelor of Science in Political Science and Economics, University of Oregon, 2001.
Prior Governmental Experience: Springfield Planning Commission, Springfield Historic Commission, Springfield Transportation Plan Stakeholders Committee, Precinct Committee Person
Civic Involvement: Junior Achievement, Big Brothers & Big Sisters, Food for Lane County, Relay for Life, Walk for Diabetes, UPS-IE United Way Campaign Committee, National Engineer’s Month, Junction City High School.
Oregon is in its second economic recession since 2007. Despite this economic hardship, the 2009 – 2010 legislature spent 9 billion dollars more than in the previous budget. For the last two legislative sessions, you have been used as an ATM machine by state legislators and it needs to stop. Poor fiscal policy like this is to blame for keeping unemployment high and classrooms underfunded.
I am running to be Springfield’s State Representative because I understand that state government needs to change. It needs to be more effective, smaller, and more responsive to your needs.
In 2011, I will support these policies that will create jobs and reduce spending:
- Creating a legislative audits division to hold the government accountable for your money.
- Updating Oregon’s income tax brackets to give needed economic relief to working families.
- Support the Main Street Incentive Plan which was the most cost effective job creation bill proposed in the last legislative session.
- Pass the education budget first to give priority to schools, and making it easier for local school districts to plan for the year.
- End the current practice of hiding increases in the state budget from voters and the legislature by using zero-based budgeting.
I will fight everyday to prioritize state spending and create a job-friendly environment. Please visit my website www.seanvangordon.com for more information, or read my political blog at www.plan4oregon.com.
(This information furnished by Committee to Elect Sean VanGordon.)