Occupation: Family physician for 25 years in the Rogue Valley; Oregon State Representative 2001 to present.
Occupational Background: Former Chief of Medicine at Rogue Valley and Providence Medford Medical Centers.
Educational Background: D.O., 1977: College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri. B.A., 1969: Central Washington State University.
Prior Governmental Experience: Eagle Point School Board, 1990-2001; Governor's Committee for Excellence in Education 1997-1999; Oregon Health Services Commission 1989-1999, chair: 1997-1999.
Military Service: Vietnam Veteran: US Army 1965-1967.
Dr. Alan Bates for Senate: Because experience matters
- Rep Bates led the fight against further cuts to K-12, and
- Consistently advocated for education dollars to go to classrooms and students, not bureaucracy.
- He advocated for insurance companies and HMO's to hold hearings prior to any rate increases,
- Stabilized funding for Oregon's Trauma Centers (HB-3668),
- Increased access to discount pharmaceuticals (HB-2742, HB-2943, SB-875), and
- Brought to Oregon $164,000,000 federal dollars for Medicaid patients this biennium and over $300,000,000 thereafter (HB-2747) (Estimation: DHS).
For all of us:
- He brought federal dollars to small businesses for employee healthcare benefits,
- Voted for increased penalties for DUII's when children are present,
- Supported legislation increasing penalties for methamphetamine production,
- Consistently worked to increase bi-partisan cooperation, and
- Supports keeping government accountable through state audits
What others say:
"Ensuring that everyone has access to quality health care has been a
top priority for Dr. Bates. As the only physician serving in the Legislature,
we need his thoughtful and diligent voice."
Dr. Mark Peterson, President, Oregon Association of Orthopaedists
"Voters who care deeply about our children and the future of public education in Oregon would do well to place their trust in Alan Bates." Phil Keisling, Oregonians for Schools and former Secretary of State
"Dr. Bates strongly supports Oregon Project Independence. Helping seniors remain in their homes saves money and it's the right thing to do." Bill Snell, Senior Advisory Council
(This information furnished by Dr. Alan Bates.)