Occupation: 1999-2004 State Representative
Occupational Background: President, World Affairs Council of Oregon; Executive Director, Portland Habitat for Humanity; Director of Housing Development, Human Solutions
Educational Background: David Douglas High School; Stanford (B.A. International Relations); Princeton (M.A., Public Policy)
Prior Governmental Experience: U.S. Congressional Policy Analyst; 1983 Presidential Intern, Office of Secretary of Defense; Citizen Sewer Advisory Board; Intern for Senator Hatfield; David Douglas Student Body President
MAKING A DIFFERENCE:
- As Founder and Co-chair of East Portland Coalition to End Unfair Storm Water Fees, worked to end Portland's practice of charging east-Portland residents for services the city is not providing.
- Reduced Crime: helped organize residents to shut down "crack alley"; proposed and helped fund and manage pilot home-building program for at-risk youth.
- Started the Walk for Humanity, which celebrates community building and raises funds for community non-profits.
- Began the state's first Individual Development Account (IDA) program, helping low-income families buy homes or attend college.
As a Legislator:
- Fought to place equitable and adequate funding for quality schools first on the legislative agenda.
- Supported the Oregon Health Plan with goal of health coverage for all of Oregon's children.
- Advocated for working families, small business, and opportunities for the disadvantaged.
- Defended Oregon's land-use system and promoted partnerships to protect our environment.
- Worked across party lines to pass the "Homebuyer Protection Act" protecting buyers from devastating hidden liens.
- Spearheaded opposition to efforts to gut the State's limits on gifts to legislators.
- Sponsored a bill that allows the Veteran's Home to receive donations through the charitable check-off program in the Oregon income tax booklet.
It's been an honor to represent you in Salem. I will keep working hard. Please contact me at 503-249-0457 or at "firstname.lastname@example.org" with questions or ideas. Your vote counts!!! Jeff
(This information furnished by Friends of Jeff Merkley.)