Occupation: Small Business Owner; Oregon Legislator
Occupational Background: Small Business, Speech Therapy, Marketing.
Educational Background: Louisiana State University; Northwestern State University.
Prior Governmental Experience: State Legislator; Mayor of Coos Bay; President, League of Oregon Cities; Coos Bay City Council; Coos Bay-North Bend Water Board; Coos County Children and Family Commission.
Personal: Born in Amite, Louisiana; married 53 years to Lawton Verger; four children and four grandchildren. Coos Bay resident for 35 years.
Community Involvement: Active member First United Methodist Church; past Board member; Oregon Easter Seal Society; United Way; Southwest Oregon Community College Foundation.
Dedicated Leadership for the Oregon Coast
Small businessperson, community leader, Mayor of Coos Bay and legislator, Joanne Verger is a champion for the schools, jobs, families and communities of the Oregon Coast.
Helping Children Prepare for the Future
Joanne believes schools must prepare ALL children with 21st Century skills:
- Supports vocational training for those who go straight to a career.
- Strengthened the Oregon College Savings Plan to help families save for college, tax free.
- Insists tax dollars go to the classroom, not bureaucracy.
Accountability for our Tax Dollars
One of the legislature's most fiscally responsible members:
- Opposes "borrow and spend" politics.
- Demands accountability from state agencies
- Supports spending caps and a rainy day fund
- Sponsored a bill cutting legislator pay by 13%
Expanding access to affordable health care
Joanne has fought for:
- Lower prescription drug costs
- Better access to physicians in rural Oregon
- And she defended homecare for seniors so they can remain independent.
Joanne is working to:
- Crack down on meth labs and dealers
- Increase penalties on drunk drivers, including taking away the licenses of repeat offenders.
And nobody fights harder to create good jobs
for the Oregon Coast!
"It's not hard to find fans of Rep. Joanne Verger
crosses party lines."
The World 10/23/02
Our Voice in the Senate
(This information furnished by Joanne Verger for State Senate.)