Occupation: Speaker of the Oregon House
Occupational Background: Executive Director, Portland Habitat for Humanity; National Security Analyst, Pentagon and Congressional Budget Office; President, Oregon World Affairs Council
Educational Background: David Douglas High School; Stanford (B.A., International Relations); Princeton, (M.A., Public Policy)
Prior Governmental Experience: State Representative, 1999; House Democratic Leader, 2003; House Speaker, 2007
"Jeff Merkley will help me bring change to Washington D.C. He will listen to Oregonians and fight for working people." Senator Barack Obama
LISTENING TO OREGONIANS
When politicians weren't listening to Oregonians, Jeff Merkley helped Democrats win back the Oregon House and give voice to citizens demanding change.
- Cut taxes for working people; balanced the budget
- Championed Oregon's first "rainy day fund"
- Passed landmark ethics reforms
The Oregonian called Jeff's session as Speaker, "Oregon's most productive in a generation." [4/19/08]
WASHINGTON D.C. IS BROKEN
Special interests have controlled the agenda and Oregon families have paid the price.
- 70,000 Oregon jobs gone
- Skyrocketing gas prices and health care costs
- $3 billion spent every week in Iraq
CHANGING WASHINGTON D.C.
Jeff Merkley will work across party lines to find solutions.
- Protect women's right to choose
- End the war and care for our veterans
- Cut taxes for working families; restore fiscal responsibility
- Scrap unfair trade agreements that ship jobs overseas
- Stand up to drug and insurance companies to make health care affordable
- Independence from foreign oil; create good-paying American jobs
"Jeff Merkley shares my values, and he will help me deliver for Oregon." Senator Ron Wyden
Son of a millworker in rural Oregon and first in his family to go to college, Jeff Merkley listens to Oregonians and fights for working people.
Endorsed by the Oregon State Police Officers' Association; Oregon Education Association; Oregon Nurses Association; Planned Parenthood; Independent Party of Oregon; Sierra Club; League of Conservation Voters; Veterans and Military Families for Progress; SEIU; AFL-CIO and working families across Oregon.
(This information furnished by Jeff Merkley for Oregon.)